I noticed stealth-related gene tonics in BioShock: Wrench Lurker 1 and 2 ("Increases Wrench damage by 150% or 200% (respectively) against unaware or shocked opponents and quietens the user's footsteps").
Since the game does appear to have stealth mechanics, I would like to know how do they work: how does the enemy AI detect the player?
Specifically, I would like to know:
- Do the sounds you make matter? (from weapon sounds, gunfire, plasmid/gene tonic effects to walking on different types of floor)
- Will crouch walking lessen sound?
- Will wearing Big Daddy boots affect stealth? (Once Jack gets the Big Daddy boots at Point Prometheus, Jack will wear it, and the sound of his footsteps will change to that of a Big Daddy's.)
- Does sight or light levels matter? Can I lurk in the shadows? Sneak behind people? Hide behind objects? Being on a different level (a floor up or down)?
- Once you're spotted, is hiding effective? Do enemies alert each other?
- Any enemies with unique behavior when it comes to player detection?
- Does difficulty matter?
Similar question of mine for BioShock 2: What stealth elements are there in BioShock 2?