As part of the Hearthfire DLC, you are able to select a steward to help manage your new house(s). There are 34 followers to choose from.
Among these are some important followers from the main questline. Many of the NPCs listed are eligible bachelors/bachelorettes. Each Housecarl (both from the main game, and Hearthfire) is available as well.
With so many options, and only a maximum of three steward positions to fill, I'm left wondering if there's any particular reason I should choose one over the others. This breaks down to a few questions:
- Are there any particular disadvantages to turning a follower into a steward?
- For example, will they no longer follow or train you?
- Does it render potential marriage candidates ineligible?
- Do any of the eligible candidates bring something special to the position?
- Particularly, anything they would not normally do for you as a follower.
- Does it really matter at all who I choose?
- Would I be just as well off assigning my Housecarls, as I would anyone else?