Arqade is a question and answer site for passionate videogamers on all platforms. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently heard that you can spawn a donkey from a horse egg with a random probability so I am curious: how often does this happen?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

According to the Minecraft Wiki:

Horse will spawn 90% of the time; donkey 10% of the time. A foal will be spawned 20% of the time.

The foal will mature into a horse 90% of the time and a donkey 10% of the time.

share|improve this answer
Those numbers don't add up. – GnomeSlice May 13 '13 at 13:44
@GnomeSlice A foal can presumably be either a donkey or a horse. In other words: 72% adult horse, 18% baby horse, 8% adult donkey, 2% baby donkey. – dlras2 May 13 '13 at 13:51
and 0% dinosaur :( – Alex May 13 '13 at 14:12
so the probability of it being a horse and the probability of it being a donkey are mutually exclusive, and the probability of it being an adult and the probability of it being a foal are mutually exclusive, however the whether it is a horse or donkey is independent of whether it is born an adult or foal. If H, D, A, and F represent horse, donkey, adult, and foal respectively, then P(H^A)=P(H)*P(A), P(H^F)=P(H)*P(F),P(D^A)=P(D)*P(A), P(D^F)=P(D)*P(F), P(H)+P(D)=1,P(A)+P(F)=1 – Nil May 13 '13 at 16:36

A horse spawn egg rarely contains a Donkey. There is a 5% chance the egg will spawn a Donkey, a 75% chance it will spawn a horse, and a 20% chance it will spawn a foal.

Upon maturing, the foal will grow up as either a donkey or a horse. If a foal turns into a donkey, well congrats.

share|improve this answer
Your answer seems to contradict the information provided in the wiki. Where did you get your information? – MBraedley Jul 6 '13 at 12:46

protected by Community Nov 30 '13 at 16:31

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.