I've now tried all three crafting trees and I must say, I don't really see the point of alchemy over the other two, save for lore. As I see, alchemy has a few shortcomings
- Takes ages to level, unless powerleveling it (which to me is a bit of an immersion sink).
- Doesn't give that extra kick crafted and enhanced/enchanted weapons and armor do
- Poisons have to be applied constantly which brakes the flow
- It's hard to know if the applied poison will make a difference or not. You might oneshot a mob without poison and in that case it's a waste of charge.
- More often than not, poisons are resisted, like the draugr.
- You can buy pretty much anything you need from an alchemy shop. Even as a non-alchemist I was basically drip feeding myself with potions.
- While not exactly boring, enchanted weapons still allow for more versitality and interesting combinations.
All in all, I don't really get what all the hype about the alchemy tree is. I've read that it's quite overpowered but so far I haven't seen it. To me it's functional but uninteresting. I don't really see why I would pick alchemy over the other three. Could it be that I'm missing anything?