I was reading on the Battlefield wiki about some maps I didn't recognise and they turned out to be from the Special Forces booster pack from Battlefield 2, so I thought I'd install BF2 and check them out.
- Installed Battlefield 2, from original retail disk with CD key from manual.
- Go to install the 1.50 "final" BF2 patch - says I have a newer version installed (?!)
- Install 1.41 patch
- Install 1.5 patch (successfully, this time). In-game states version as 1.5.3153-802.0
- Launch game, create local account, switch to "Custom Games" and select the "Special Forces" pack and click "Activate".
- Battlefield 2 quits to desktop and then launches to a black screen which flickers a few times then quits to desktop.
I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, latest updates. Other mods such as Battlefield 2 Sandbox, version 1.0.1 work fine.