Take the 2-minute tour ×
Arqade is a question and answer site for passionate videogamers on all platforms. It's 100% free, no registration required.

First of all I'd like to address some issues that might get this question closed.

  1. This question does not belong here! I didn't feel like posting it here either, but where should I post it then? It certainly does not belong on game-dev.
  2. This has already been answered here: What are the licensing terms for Portal 2's soundtrack? No it hasn't, that's for video games. This is merely a custom map for an already existing video games.
  3. This is a legal question. We are not lawyers AFAIK there's no stackexchange on legal affairs.

Valve states here that they're fine with players using their assets (which also includes music) for creating videos, as long as they're not distributed separately. I'd like to use their music for a custom Minecraft map, which, to be honest, I don't think can be categorized as a video.

Also, what is their definition of "separately"? Do they mean that I can't distribute the raw file alone or that I can't distribute the file without any other sound overlapping?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Colin D, Frank, Billy Mailman, kalina, Fluttershy Dec 12 '13 at 16:38

  • This question does not appear to be about videogames or videogame consoles within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This is a legal question. We are not lawyers. –  Colin D Dec 12 '13 at 16:03
I know, but there's no legal stackexchange forum. At least not one I'm aware of. –  Locercus Dec 12 '13 at 16:03
Unfortunately, since this is about legalities, and we are not lawyers, we can't actually answer this. You'll need to go see a real lawyer (and probably pay them for their time) to get an answer. Just because there's nowhere else to answer this doesn't mean you should ask it here. –  Frank Dec 12 '13 at 16:05
The key word in that legalese is "distribute". A custom Minecraft map is more of a private non-profit project. As long as you're not making any money off of this map, you'll be fine. If you've monetized your Youtube channel where you plan to release these videos, it might be problematic, and for that I would recommend waiting for an actual full answer. Or getting a lawyer, as others have said. –  Zibbobz Dec 12 '13 at 16:06
@Locercus, that sounds like your answer then. I still choose not to make this an official answer though, because I don't have the legal expertise to give you a positive yes/no. There is no Law StackExchange, but that doesn't mean the ability or responsibility to answer this question falls upon us. –  Zibbobz Dec 12 '13 at 16:09

1 Answer 1

up vote -1 down vote accepted

Preface: I am not a lawyer.

You are making a custom map and not a video so any information from the 'valve video policy' site is not relevant.

You are going to include the content in a custom map which includes redistributing copyrighted material. This behavior is not allowed under copyright law without permissions.

If the map is only for personal used (aka you do not give it to anyone) or if you require them to get the asset from another source (their copy of portal 2) there should not be a huge problem. (this is still questionably legal, but has some precedent set for it on things like the Magic Workstation program)

share|improve this answer
That's what I thought. I guess I'll have to contact Valve for their approval then. Thanks! –  Locercus Dec 12 '13 at 16:13

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.