It's my worst also (not counting Shofixti as a "real" ship in that ranking). Here's my strategy guide, such as it is. Using Umgah Drone against:
- Ilwrath: Winnable with effort and skill.
- Learn to tell where the enemy is from how the view orients itself. Always face the enemy and never turn off the cone.
- Slingshot off the planet so that you're faster than the enemy, but not too fast. When you float near him, break and close in. Otherwise stay away from the planet.
- The enemy can kill you if he gets right in your face, inside the cone, and then unloads. If he tries that, zip back by the shortest distance possible. If he's not fully charged and tries this, you win.
- VUX: If the VUX enters battle last, close to you, you have one chance.
- If he's in front of you, close and kill, you can block his laser with the cone.
- If he's behind you, zip behind him for the kill.
- If you can't close the deal before he moves away, it's over. You might get a second chance if you can block all the barnacles and slingshot him.
- Shofixti: You can't win, but you can both lose.
- Earthling: You actually have the advantage here. Just run up to the enemy (or zip into his path) and kill him, simple as that. All you have to watch out for is missiles from behind.
- Druuge: Use zip to dodge his cannon shots. Toy with him. Get him to burn up his crew. Don't get shot. When he can't shoot any more, then close for the kill. Even if you lose, you still win.
- All others: Against a competent opponent you're dead and there's little you can do about it. But against opponents near death or who have blockable weapons (ZoqFotPik, Syreen, Pkunk, Yehat, Supox, Utwig, Spathi, Arilou, Mmrnmhrm), you can hug the planet and try slingshot attacks, possibly drag the battle on for a very long time, and if the enemy makes a mistake, you might score a kill. Myself, I just slingshot into them and if I take a few crew with me I call it a good day.
Taking the question in reverse, the only time I think to myself, "Oh no, it's an Umgah Drone" in melee mode is when I've got an Earthling ship. But using some others (Arilou, Utwig, Supox, Ilwrath, Syreen, Yehat, Druuge, Mycon) it will either be a very long fight, or a toss-up at my skill level against an expert computer.