Having just sabotaged a perfectly good attempt to finish an EASY run (Yes, I play on EASY -- I'm a pansy), I discovered the following:
- Skill loss is a flat amount.
- Skill loss is applied to all skills.
- Skill loss is not random.
- Skill loss is different for different skills!
- Piloting is affected -20% of a bar (-3 dodges)
- Engineering is affected -20% of a bar (-3 dodges)
- Gunnery is affected -20% of a bar (-13 shots)
- Shielding is affected -20% of a bar (-11 impacts)
- Repair is affected about -16% of a bar. (-3 repairs)
- Combat is affected -12.5% of a bar. (-1 kill)
Thus, if you had perfect skills (full yellow bar) it would take 10 deaths to empty out piloting, engineering, gunnery, and shielding. It would take 12 deaths to empty out repair, and it would take 16 deaths to empty out combat.