For some reason, there is still no proper table about max speed, so I made one myself. Please add any more information you have, either in the comments or via email@example.com.
Maybe someone can migrate this to the english minecraft wiki.
Survival mode travelling, ordered by speed
Ender pearl TNT** (
Horizontal TNT bump
Collision bump (
Elytra, 52° downwards
Boat on ice
Ender pearl, 1 per sec
Boat row, 20 clicks/sec
2 block high, ice & trap
& wood YT
Horse*, sprint, speed II
Boat row (
Pig & carrot on a stick
Running, sprint, speedII
Running, sprint, jumping
- Latest update: Vers. 1.10 (2016 July)
- Accuracy: ~0.03 sec
- As noted - if travelling in the nether, the overworld speed can be multiplied by 8
- Measured ender pearl travel speed equals the wiki entry. Throwing them up 45° in the air will give the longest teleportation distance, however the fastest way is using them one after another, in a way once the cooldown has finished (1 pearl / sec)
- Sprinting or drinking speed potions does not affect boat travelling speed
* The horse was summoned with attribute movementSpeed:
Base:0.3375 which is the maximum horse speed available, afaik.
** Bumping a thrown ender pearl with TNT can get you thousands of blocks in just a few seconds. However, if the chunks on its route are not loaded, it is rather useless. Only interesting on an intensely populated server.
*** Boat on ice: Wiki says 40 m/s which does not match the reference video in this table