Does anyone know if it is at all possible to install Portal 2 purely from retail DVD? I purchased my copy just yesterday and after going to about 4% the installer has now begun hogging my bandwidth by pulling the remaining 96% from Steam (online).
I am hoping and praying that someone can advise how to install 96% of the game from disk and have Steam only download the remaining 4% - if at all that's possible. I've looked on the Steam forums too, but there seem to be numerous similar complaints.
It just beats the purpose of having a dedicated retail disk for install - which by the way is 5.6 gigs in size - and I would imagine it to contain most (if not all) of the file needed to complete a Portal 2 Steam-less installation.
Update- I'm running Win 7 x64. Here's a screenshot of the contents of the DVD. The Resources folder only contains various language versions of steam installer (English, Thai and Chinese). What's the deal with all those Portal2_disk1_x.sid files?
Update 2 - Just wanted to let everyone know that the download has completed after 14 long hours and the game works just fine!