In Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, the game tracks your relationship with various characters by a set amount of heart icons signifying how much that character likes you.
While specific events throughout the game effect your relationships, the game lets you know pretty early on that it is possible to acquire specific items to use as gifts to improve your relationships with specific characters. The game also hints that certain events will only take place if you are friendly enough with specific characters.
So far I have only come across two gift items, the "Ninjutsu Reference Book", which I have successfully given as a gift to Guy, and some item from the flower shop (I can't remember what it was at the moment. Some sort of bouquet naturally). I have been left with many a question regarding these gifts:
- Can a single item be used as a gift for multiple characters, or should I ignore it once I "figure out" what character it works with? (I see that I can buy multiple Ninjutsu Reference Book, but they are very pricy and I'd hate to buy one in vain).
- Can you gift a single character with the same item multiple times? If so, is there some sort of cool down?
- In the event that certain characters require several gifts to reach the best relationship level, how often can you gift them? Is this simply limited to the rate at which new/different gifts become available?
- Do you need gifts to get the best relationship level with all characters, or do some characters just end up liking you naturally through events/sidequests?
- Do all characters have specific locations in which they appear when you are between missions? The only opportunity I've seen so far to give a gift is to go up to a character and talk to it, but that would naturally be impossible if they can't be found anywhere.