I'm quite new to LoL still, but I've played DotA/DOTA2 for long time before.
When you play support in DotA there were quite a lot of things you could/should do to help out your carry(or team in general):
- buy wards and place wards
- deny creeps(you finish of your own creeps on lane -> enemy gains less exp)
- harrass enemy on lane
- stack neutral creeps in forest/jungle and pull them if you don't want to push enemy much
- gank on whole map if needed
- give salve/tree/pot to your carry
- dewarding rune spots/neutral spots
- (don't steal last hits from your carry)
So basicly if I played support I never felt like I'm bored or there is nothing to do.
Compared to LoL where you can't deny creeps, can't stack/pull neutral creeps and warding in casual games is at start quite easy since almost every hero has the basic warding ability so it's not just your duty.
I mean I've noticed quite fast that the game in LoL is also on quite smaller map so the game is faster and maybe more hectic so it's very usual to start getting kills on level 2.
But if my lane carry doesn't have any issues with enemy on our lane and the enemy is keeping distance in which I can't really harrass them unless I want to go under tower - which would be stupid(towers in LoL feel much more aggresive to me than in dota tbh) I can be pretty much bored on the lane as support.
What should I do as a support in this situation?
- Should I try killing the little creature near baron for vision and speed or leave that to jungler?
- As person who likes to organise, is it ok to try to lead as support in public game by helping jungler with timing or the timing in general with mentioning if dragon will be soon etc. - I mean most ppl do keep track of these things on their own but well..
- Can I go kill some neutrals in forest on my own or it's bad idea and jungler would hate me?