I have recently installed Rusty Hearts with the intention of trying it out, even though I'm not really an MMO person. Something in the game's aesthetic just really appeals to me.
While the gameplay videos I've seen looked decent, the installation experience itself had me questioning the game's credibility. The installer and subsequent launcher look slightly shady, with several suspicious windows popping up and disappearing.
When I finally got to launching the actual game, I suddenly saw the following icon before the game went full-screen:
Snooping around online, I discovered that this is some sort of cheat-prevention module called X-Trap, that is aimed to detect the following, amongst other things:
- The user has modified game files
- The user is running a 3rd party program that is not allowed
- The user is modifying the program dynamically
While I understand why cheat prevention is important in such games, my instincts are to be highly suspicious of this module. This is exacerbated by the fact that I can't seem to find any official information about it.
So my question is, can I trust X-Trap not to:
- Spy on me.
- Alter my computer in ways I am unaware of.
- Interfere with other programs.
- Do other bad things I can't necessarily think about.