I recently bought a Wired Xbox 360 controller from Ebay, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's counterfeit.
It's two-tone black and gray, which according to Wikipedia means it's probably the Elite edition of the controller.
Here's what makes me suspicous:
- There's no breakaway cable near the USB port (Microsoft's term is Inline Cable Release), the cable is one piece from controller to USB port
- The cord is about 7 feet long
- The hologram sticker on the back says "Microsoft" but doesn't have the real Microsoft logo, there's no slice taken out of the "o" in "Micro"
Here's a number of details that are correct, as far as I can tell:
- The "Microsoft" logo etched on the top of the controller is correct, it has the split "o" and connected "ft"
- It seems to work correctly when plugged into my computer
- The front of the controller matches this image exactly
- At the USB end of the cord, the grey wider plastic piece you're intended to pull on has the little nub on top. (You can see what I'm talking about in this picture, the nub is to the left of and below the first "w" in the watermark)
I know pictures would probably be helpful, I'll work on taking some.