I've been playing Skyrim since it was released, and I've had a problem where certain graphical features are invisible to me. As far as I can tell, its a certain type of shader or particle effect that must be faulty, as its not whole entities that are hidden.
Example missing effects:
- The sky-ward light beams at Winterhold College
- Fire/Ice streaming magic
- Fireplaces - all I see is a shimmer (like what happens on a hot day IRL)
- Streaming fire magic ("Flames" spell), all I see is some of the flicks of flame off my hands and the resulting burn-mark on the target, but no actual flames
- From dragons; the breath of both fire and ice breathing dragons is invisible to me - makes fights difficult
- Portals (like what summoned creatures come out of) are just a shimmer or extra light, otherwise invisible
- Augur of Dunlain is completely invisible (the final straw)
- AMD Phenom X4 2.4GHz
- 8GB DDR2-800 RAM
- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 (built-in dual-GPU CrossFire)
- 2x Samsung 2443bw 24" LCD monitors @ 1920x1200 (disabling one hasn't changed anything in Skyrim)
I'm thinking its something that my dual-GPU card is doing wrong, as Skyrim has been CrossFire disabled by ATI in their driver set (except for HD 5000, 6000 and 7000 series cards)... However I've tried every tweak possible in RadeonPRO to no avail (I've otherwise never used RadeonPRO).
My friends have experienced it temporarily when Alt-Tabbing, but Alt-Tabbing again usually fixes it - no solution for me.
Has anyone experienced something similar and been able to fix it?