Once you've finished Diablo II you are able to play hardcore mode.
So far, I am aware of these elements when playing hardcore:
- When you die, your character is permanently killed and unplayable.
- Your name appears in red on b.net.
- Your character will wear a robe once killed and you can still participate in b.net conversations etc.
In games with similar modes, you will be rewarded whilst playing. For example:
- Better items drop far more frequently.
- Access to a couple more side-quests.
- Ability to play against special boss's (for example Uber Diablo/Baal/Mephisto if you play hell mode + b.net).
- A small selection of new skills / spells.
Are there any perks when playing hardcore such as an increased chance of finding uniques and set items? Or is the sole benefit bragging rights?