Yes there is. To add bots to a game:
First tell the server to allow bots, press tilde (~) to open the console and type:
/bot_enable 1 and start the server through the appropriate menu choices
If the server is already running, type:
/reload then you can start to add the bot(s):
To add a bot, use the command:
/addbot <type> <level> <team> <ping> <server nick>
<type> should use one of the following bot file names:
- c ockroach (<== space between the C and the O added to pass BB filters)
<level> should be an integer between 1 (n00bish) – 5 (malevolent)
<team> should be either Blue, or Red
<ping> is just a placeholder, put 76 in
<server nick> should be what you want to name the bot
To recap, the following would add a level 4 bot called “ThePuma” to the blue team:
/addbot Puma 4 Blue 76 ThePuma
Each bot type has it’s own weapon load out – Puma for example uses a LR300ML + Spas + Baretta combo. By making sure at least 1 bot has the same weapons as you, you’ll never run out of ammo.
Tactically, the bots are not very bright, and you can’t give them orders like q3 bots, however they do use the same evasion techniques (varying levels of crouching, bunny hopping and strafing) as live players, with varying levels of aggression.
Bot configuration files
- If you want to add more than one bot at a time, you might want to make a .cfg file which you save to your q3ut4 directory
addbot C ockroach 4 Blue 76 =lvl4=C ockroach
addbot Cheetah 4 Blue 56 =lvl4=Cheetah
addbot Cobra 4 Blue 45 =lvl4=Cobra
addbot Penguin 4 Blue 89 =lvl4=Penguin
addbot Puma 4 Blue 89 =lvl4=Puma
addbot Puma 1 Blue 89 =lvl1=Puma
Maps for running bots
Not every map in UT4 has bot support, the following do, sort of:
- Dressing room
- Firing Range
- Mandolin *
Some maps work better than others – the maps marked with an asterisk are maps where the bots have trouble getting out of the spawn points.
The maps found most useful in upping my game are :
- Firing range - good for close quarters practice
- Riyadh – add several bots for sniper target practice
- Algiers – for finding sweet spots on the map to fire from cover
- Dressing room – for mixed terrain levels + varying range battles – though bots will fall into the river in the middle and remain in there.
Basic tutorial on bot setup, detailed bot info and gear, and setting up configs(easy bot addition).