I've recently noticed some games emerging in a certain style for which I know of no name. I'm curious if there's any name for this style of gameplay - such a name will allow me to more efficiently search for more information about this genre.
I'm guessing it's some subgenre of strategy gaming.
General Game Description
- 2D gameplay with a side-scrolling perspective.
- Real-time (or mostly real-time) action.
- You have a base at one edge of the map and the enemy has one at the other edge.
- The winner is the first player to destroy the opponent's base.
- You can create new units at your base. You have no control of these units. They will automatically advance towards the opponent's base, attacking any of the opponent's units on the way.
- If a unit reaches the enemy's base, it starts attacking it.
- The game may include other aspects like resource management (units cost resources that you get somewhere), special abilities (e.g. spells on a timer) or other special mechanics, but the core of the gameplay is choosing the correct unit composition and timing and letting those units do the work for you.