The way I use the proximity mine on my Turian soldier is to supplement his primary damage source: weapons, rather than relying it as a damage dealer. For my soldier, I only max out proximity mine after the following skills:
- Turian Veteran
Its arguable that you can start putting more points into mines rather than fitness, but I prefer the survivability first.
Here are the key upgrades for the mines that I like to use:
- Rank 4: Radius
- Rank 5: Damage Taken
- Rank 6: Recharge Speed
- Falcon assault rifle (clip size and scope mod)
- backup SMG of some kind (damage and clip mod)
- The AOE effect of the mine that boost damage done to enemies synergizes really well with the AOE damage of the falcon assault rifle.
- Proximity mines last forever (as long as you don't place them too close to each other), so be constantly spamming them, even in between rounds.
- Your weapons are your primary source of damage, though granted I've never tried a skill spamming soldier before.
- Since the Turian soldier doesn't have a dodge mechanism, you'll need the extra health and good positioning to survive.
- If you can see the location with your scope, you can place a mine there, even if its far away. Spam your mines everywhere.