I recently purchased Empire Earth Gold Edition from GOG.com. Unfortunately, I've yet to be able to actually play it.
- Make/Model - HP EliteBook 8530p
- OS - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
- CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.3 GHz
- RAM - 4 GB
- Video - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
- Video Driver Version - 8.911.4.1000
When running the shortcut, I see the Empire Earth splash screen and then it switches to a full-screen black window with a "spinning circle" cursor for a few seconds. After this, the window minimizes. In the background, I can hear the game's intro and title screen running, but I can't restore the game window no matter what I do.
- Updated video drivers from HP's website.
- Installed June 2010 edition of DirectX, as suggested by GOG.com.
- Attempted Compatibility Mode settings:
- Windows 2000
- Disable visual themes
- Disable desktop composition
- Run as Administrator
- Closed background programs:
- Some others
- Run in Virtual Machine
- VirtualBox 4.1.8
- Guest Additions installed
- Single processor
- 2 GB RAM
- 128 MB Video RAM
- Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP3
- June 2010 edition of DirectX installed
- Game crashes immediately after splash screen
I'd much rather be able to run the software natively in the host OS, but I'll settle for getting it to work in the VM if it can be done. Is there anything else I should try? I did e-mail GOG.com support, but was wondering if anyone here might have an answer before they can get back to me.