The ability to dual-wield the same one-handed weapon seems like the most useless ability to have out of all weapon upgrades you can earn to me (golden doesn't count). e.g., If you wanted to dual-wield two SMGs, you'd just buy two different SMGs and equip them each in a hand and you have your "dual-wield." No need to get your weapon to level 5 or 6 just to be able to do so. Frankly I see no reason to want to use the same weapon.
Two Weapon Dual-Wielding Pros:
- You can get it as soon as you can afford it (which will be quick)
- You're leveling/grinding both weapons simultaneously (HUGE!)
Two Weapon Dual-Wielding Cons:
- Costs more money (is that really a problem?)
- Your weapons don't have the same stats (is that really a problem?)
One Weapon Dual-Wielding Pros:
- You are guaranteed upgrades for both weapons (not bad... dual high-capacity clips anyone?)
- You level/grind the weapon faster? (4-5 more levels might go quicker? I see no difference)
- You only had to get/buy one weapon saving money (again, is money really an issue?)
One Weapon Dual-Wielding Cons:
- You have to level up the weapon before you can dual-wield (if you single the gun all the way, it will take some time)
If you asked me, the pros far outweigh the cons to dual-wield two weapons. And remember, this are single-handed weapons so you generally be shooting in close- to mid-range so differences in the weapons' stats will be unnoticeable. Any weaknesses in one weapon will greatly be made up by the other.
I see no difference in how quickly the weapons level up. The time it took to get a 2-handed weapon to level 10 is taking about the same time it is taking me to get two SMGs up to level 10.
Are there any real benefits to dual-wielding a single weapon that you can't get with two weapons that I'm not seeing here?