1 on 1: Heli's dont stand a chance against a good jet pilot.
A few (generalised) tips for taking out choppers however:
It can't shoot you if it can't see you:
- If the pilot has to go nose up to get a shot at you, they are (or will be) moving backwards or downwards, and will avoid doing this for too long.
- The gunner also acts as lookout in a good pairing, but only has limited view upwards.
Know where it is:
- Dropping flares is far easier when you know how long the missile will take to get to you.
- Allows you to get longer gun-runs.
- Lets you know how far you have to run to lose the lock (Flares are valuable!)
Pick your moment to attack:
If you get two or three hits on the heli, it knows your on to it, and will pull evasive maneuvers. Watch the pilot as he turns to pull a straight run against a target, close in then land as much of a cannon run as you can. One full burst of cannon fire -will- destroy a chopper
- There is little point using AA missiles. Against a pilot-gunner combo, they are merely an annoyance, you may pull the occasional kill against a lone pilot... but it's far better to make yourself useful to groundforces.
- ECMs can be tricky to use, I still opt for flares, they are usefull for SOFLAM's and throwing Air-radars off, however they seem to have a much lower success rate.
As with the answer above, please don't kamikaze!