I was looking to install Elsword (an F2P game) to try later; and discovered that it uses what is basically a customized bittorrent client, Pando Media Booster, to help with the installation download. After some searching, I've also found that
- PMB is used in several other F2P games such as LoL, LotRO etc.
- It does not show up in notification bar and silently continues to leech upload bandwidth, with many posts suggesting to uninstall it asap after game download is completed
- It is safe to delete once the actual full installer has been downloaded. I read about some games reinstalling PMB to download updates, but presumably that would prompt you for permission again
I have decided to take a chance and install Elsword and LoL followed by uninstalling PMB asap. However, considering it seems to be borderline shady, I have a few questions:
- Is there some way to download these games without using PMB? (could not find one in a quick search)
- Are there any specifics to be aware of when uninstalling; in case it is really persistent about trying to hide
- Where can I find a complete list of games using it; so that I can install any I'm interested in at one time before removing PMB (or ignore them).