I am currently re-playing The Watchmaker. Unfortunately I have gotten stuck in exactly the same place I did the first time I tried to play it several years ago.
After the sand-trap, Darryl has to pour the bag of blood on the rose, but instead, he drinks(‽) it.
I tried searching for an answer, hoping that there has been a fix or solution since the last time I looked (~2004), but all I can find is the same complaints and speculation.
The best I can do to work-around it has been to download a savegame which unfortunately was made not only after he pours the blood, but after a cinematic with a lengthy conversation between Darryl and Jude. I cannot find a savegame that was made from just before he pours the blood. The next best thing I could do was to search for a video of the game from when he pours the blood to after he gets the necklace from Jude, but unfortunately the only one I could find is in Checz. As such, I am at best, missing out on a chunk of the game and an important part of the story; and at worst, unable to play the game at all.
I tried a bunch of different things, but sadly none of which worked:
- I made a list of every object that the person who made the savegame had and made sure to get all of them myself
- I made sure to visit Jude before pouring the blood on the rose so that she complains about it being a bad time because of a situation
- I have opened the book and read the bookmark (in fact I did all of these things with both Darryl and Victoria just to be sure)
- I tried having each of Darryl and Victoria be the one to get scolded by Greta
- I tried disabling all of the acceleration options and using the lowest resolution in the game's setup program
- I tried removing the speech files that are installed separately
- I tried examining the data files to see if there is a way to find the bug and fix it, but there are only two binary files and no scripts
- I even tried a no-CD patch and loader, but they didn't fix it either
Does anyone have any information on how to get the game to work? At the very least, does anyone know where I can find a savegame that will work, but from before Darryl pours the blood?