Arqade is a question and answer site for passionate videogamers on all platforms. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A friend of mine has an old C64, it has a video output enter image description here and we are wondering how to connect this with an VGA or DVI computer monitor?

share|improve this question
@powtac You can try a getting a S Video/Video To VGA Converter. – Krazer Jul 13 '12 at 20:24
Not sure about the video plug, but I remember just using a male-male composite cable to plug it into a TV, but maybe that's not an option? – Thor Jul 13 '12 at 20:27
There was a male to male composite cable with the box... But we want to run it with a PC display. – powtac Jul 13 '12 at 20:32

The route I initially took with this question was to use a couple converters, something like RF to RCA to VGA. This gentleman was able to accomplish this with a little work:

Another route may be a converter box, which tend to cost a little more money but don't require the labor to get working. Something like this from eBay may be appropriate:

If you go with the converter box route, make sure it has either an RF or 8-pin S-Video input (I say 8-pin just to be sure even though RandInLA from the first article says pins 7 and 8 aren't even internally connected).

share|improve this answer

Here's how to make a S-Video cable : This is the C-64 pinout C-64 pinout (the early version of the C64 only has pins 1 to 5)

The S-Video looks like this S-Video

So the objective is to create a patch cable that goes something like this:

C64 Pin S-Video Pin 
2       1   
2       2   
4 or 6  3   
1       4   

If you have an early C64, you must use pin 4 as your chrominance signal. If you have a later 8 pin A/V connector, then you can use pin 6.

I already have a C64 to 1702 monitor cable. This cable breaks the C64 A/V port into three RCA jacks: audio, chroma, and luma (sync on luma). So I will cheat. I will make a crossover cable. The aim of the crossover cable is to take the RCA luma and chroma inputs from my C64 cable and cross the conductors to the S Video mini DIN output. I will do this by cutting up a pair of old RCA cables and a S-Video cable. The resulting crossover cable looks like this:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Please don't just leave a link, summarize the page that you link to in case it ever goes down. – MBraedley Nov 15 '13 at 14:54
While this link may answer the question, it is better to include the essential parts of the answer here and provide the link for reference. Link-only answers can become invalid if the linked page changes. – MBraedley Nov 15 '13 at 14:56

According to this the video jack only provides composite output like the RF jack, so what you are looking for is a composite to VGA or DVI converter.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.