In ZvZ, I put all my zerglings on a hotkey. As my opponent has banelings, I want to send a single ling to pick it off. The problem is that the single ling is still a part of my control group and I often issue a new command before he picks off the baneling.
What is the best technique for doing this well? I can think of a few options but I am interested in hearing something better:
- Don't hotkey the units in this engagement. The problems with this are:
- I cannot double-tap the control group to set the camera on the battle easily.
- It means more manual selection of units to micro, which is not good when I am microing both banelings and lings. Because I use grid hotkey layout, the key to morph into a baneling is the same as the key to explode a baneling. That means it's very important that I keep banes separate from lings in my selections.
- Hotkey normally, send the single ling to pick off the baneling, and consciously don't re-issue commands to the control group until the baneling pick-off mission is complete. I think this is just difficult to execute, but maybe it just takes practice?
- Do the standard "send a unit in a control group to do something, and remove it from the control group" motion: Send the whole control group to target the baneling, shift-click a single ling, re-hotkey, and move away. This is dangerous when you're hanging so close to banelings though and it usually causes me to just fail entirely at the objective.