I recently picked up Battlefield 3 in a physical copy but have had issues with installing it.
Install steps so far:
- Inserted disk 1, created an Origin account, and installed Origin. No issues.
- Started the install, slow but progress was made. At around 70% it asked for the second disk.
- Put in disk 2 (remember, new clean disk) and it progressed to around 85% before saying the disk could not be read.
- Gave the disk a quick clean, tried a couple more times with no luck.
- Origin gave me the option of downloading the game instead. Hoping that it would use the files previously copied over from the disk. Nope. Looks like it was downloading the whole 16GB.
- Cancelled the download.
- Copied the content of both DVDs to a local hard disk and tried to install from there.
- Same issue - guess a problem with disk 2.
- Extracted the content from the disks and pasted them in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin Game\Battlefield 3 and started the download again.
- Files downloaded slowley and then jumped from a couple of MB to over 11GB (guess it found the files from the disk?)
- Managed to download another 4GB of files through Origin.
- Have now go to the stage where I regularly get an error message (around 95%) "An unexpected error has occoured. Please try again in a few minutes. Error 262145:5"
262145:5 seems to be an error code not limited to Battlefield 3, but apart from that I can't find much out.
My question here, then, is what are my options? I've heard horror stories about EA's Origin support and would rather not spend an evening trying to talk to someone. I have a couple of friends with Battlefield 3 so could probably use their disks, or copy their install (if that would work). Or I could keep trying and hope it's an issue with Origin.