From this page:
Engi originate from the Engi Homeworld. They take 50 to hire, with the following special traits:
- Repair speed is doubled
- Combat damage is halved
The Mantis originate from the Mantis Homeworld. It takes 45 to hire them.
- Double damage in combat
- 1.2x move speed
- Halved repair speed
Rockmen are strong creatures and take 65 to hire. Their abilites are:
- Immune to fire
- Movement speed is halved
- Health is increased to 150%
Zoltan usually appear in Engi Homeworlds or Engi-Controlled Worlds. They appear rarely, and it takes 65 to hire them. Their special abilities are:
- Provides (1) power to occupied system
- Health is 70
Slugs are one of the rarest crew to find. Their advantage is the ability to see your enemy's crew, represented by red dots, and to be able to see the rooms surrounding the slug in your ship if your sensor goes down. They cost 45 to hire.
- Telepathic powers reveal rooms and lifeforms even when sensors are down.
And a final 'secret' race:
Crystals can be found in Life support pods that are revived by scientists. Doing so also begins a special quest to the Rock Homeworlds.
- Lockdown power: When finished charging, sends crystals to surround the room they are in, making it completly invincible to damage (Only that specific room). Nothing can exit/enter the specific room until the ability wears off.
- Reduced suffocation damage
- Movement speed -20%
- Health 125