Arqade is a question and answer site for passionate videogamers on all platforms. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I noticed that the weapons that deal explosive damage often deal far more damage then the base damage of the gun.

As an example; i currently have an explosive pistol with 163 as its base damage, however when i shoot enemies it often does 334-364 damage and rarely 163.

How does that explosive bonus damage works? Does it have % increase on the base damage of the gun or does it have multiplier over the base damage?

share|improve this question
Unfortunately, this has not been documented anywhere, yet. The best guess anyone has is by using the weapon and seeing what shakes out. The current best guess is that it's just a % bonus added to the base damage. In your case, it might be about 100%. – Finster Sep 24 '12 at 21:49
I wonder if what you're seeing is Splash Damage (100% of it) plus the bullet damage (100% of it too) – Ben Brocka Sep 26 '12 at 15:52
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The bonus explosive damage is added as a proportion of the base damage in an AoE. For example, Torgue assault rifles add 150% of the weapons base damage as AoE damage, while Maliwan pistols add 135% of their base damage as AoE elemental damage (I believe Maliwan Sniper rifles add around 75%) on every shot. This AoE damage is not multiplied by critical it modifiers but is affected by gun damage modifiers (as it alters the base damage before the AoE damage is calculated). I don't know the proportion for Torgue pistols or shotguns, however, or if the Maliwan effects alter elemental chance (as I have seen them cause double elemental dot with one bullet, but I don't know if that was a fluke or not).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.