I would like to know what stealth elements are in Half-Life 2 and how does the enemy AI detect the player.
Specifically, I would like to know:
Can enemies detect by sound?
- Will weapon sounds (gunfire, grenade explosion, crowbar hit sound) alert them? (even if not hitting them, but are within their earshot)
- Will walking or crouch walking lessen sound (compared to sprinting)?
Can enemies detect light levels?
- Do enemies detect light from the flashlight (and are you more likely to be detected with the flashlight on)?
- Will hiding in dark places work?
Do enemies see behind their backs (i.e. Can you can sneak up on them if their backs are turned to you)?
- Does hiding behind objects work (or do enemies see through objects)?
- Are enemies alerted forever? (i.e. If they detected you, will they be permanently be on alert for you, or will they go back to their previous routine once you have been out of their sight for some time)
- Do enemies alert each other if one of them has sighted you (or is detection, per individual enemy unit)?
- Does the enemy notice you if you are near their vicinity (relative to enemy's location) or is enemy detection of the player scripted (fixed), and you can't avoid detection once you are in a certain area?
- Any enemies with unique behavior when it comes to player detection?