This is a three-fold question that is not directly related to any single game, but generally to all MMOs.
As the background scenario imagine running tournaments for possibly thousands of players in different MMOs. How would you go about reducing the administrative overhead (or how would your dream tournament management software go about it)?
Are there websites/softwares, which allow one to manage/organize a tournament for any game such that the administrative overhead is small? I know about all kinds of tournament software, but they usually require some organizer to enter all the details (participants, results, ...). For what I'm looking for consider the next question.
As I haven't found any answer to question 1 myself, I am starting to suspect that I might have to roll my own. For that case, I'd like to hear about ideas for organizing online tournaments in a player-managed fashion.
Let me elaborate what I understand as "player-managed" a little bit further:
- Players/Teams can sign-up to a tournament themselves - no administrator/organizer required.
- The roster is automatically created and players/teams are informed about their opponents and schedule.
- Results are reported by the players - no administrator/organizer required.
- The system should be applicable to different MMOs with only little customization required.
- Especially, the result reports by players gives me a headache. Does anyone know any work/research on this topic, or has insights into how organizations like ESL handle it?
For the average match I assume this to be no problem. Winners will happily report their wins. Instead I worry about malicious players. What if both players report they have won the match?
- Some games support 'proofs' in terms of screenshots, replays, log files. All of which could potentially be spoofed.
- Some games support observers, which could take the position of referees.