The Steal command (and mug, also known as capture, and all other attempts to steal) has a success rate determined by the following formula. Note as Kaiser points out below, you can cut your enemy's level in half with the Discord Lore (unless they're immune to instant death, like bosses)
Success % = (Locke's Level + 50 - Target's level)/128
There's also lots of ways to steal more than one time per turn. You can have any two of the following relics:
- Brigand's Glove: turns Steal into Mug
- Genji Glove: allows two weapons, thus two attacks (affects Mug)
- Thief's Bracer: Doubles percentage chance of stealing
- Master's Scroll: 4 random attacks instead of 1, per weapon
There's also the Thief's Knife item which has a random chance of attempting to steal. Possible combos I'm considering are:
- Brigand + Genji: 2 Mug attempts per turn
- Brigand + Master: 4 Mug attempts per turn (but random targets)
- Master + Genji + Thief's Knife: 8 attacks per turn, possible chance of theft
So what's the most effective combo? Without (previously) knowing the % boost of the Thief's bracer or the % chance of the Thief's Knife, I've been going with Brigand's Glove and Master Scroll (Genji Glove before it) to maximize attempts per turn, but what's the most efficient way to do this?
Ideally I'd like the most chances to steal inside a single turn when using mug (or normal attack + Thief's knives, if necessary). Yes I know I can use Steal without an attack and be sure I won't kill things, I'd like to know the most effective way per turn to do this.