Arqade is a question and answer site for passionate videogamers on all platforms. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What are the requirements to have the option to sign a Pact of Research with another Civ?

share|improve this question
Note that if you can't select Research Pact in the diplomacy screen, if you mouse-over it will tell you why it's unavailable. – therefromhere Oct 25 '10 at 12:17
up vote 13 down vote accepted

Both sides need enough money for the agreement, and at least one side has researched Philosophy.

The cost for a research agreement scales with the era of the more advanced player and with the game speed:

Era         Quick  Standard  Epic  Marathon
Classical   134    200       300   600
Medieval    167    250       375   750
Rennaisance 167    250       375   750
Industrial  201    300       450   900
Modern      234    350       525   1050
Future      234    350       525   1050

You can also have only one active research agreement per civilization, and research agreements are not possible during war (as bwarner pointed out).

If the enemy civilization has not enough money for the research agreement you can also gift (or loan it against gold per turn) the necessary gold to them.

share|improve this answer
You also can't be at war with each other, and you can only have a single research agreement active with each civ. – bwarner Oct 23 '10 at 14:32
How much money I need? – Jedi Master Spooky Oct 23 '10 at 14:36
I've signed a research agreement before for 200 gold. Maybe the difficulty level plays into the cost as well as the era? – mpenrow Oct 23 '10 at 16:19
I've had it cost as little as 167 and as much as 400. The cost goes up based on the lowest tech you (or they) have. – aslum Oct 24 '10 at 4:28
I think gamespeed alters it as well. – Raven Dreamer Oct 24 '10 at 19:08

To enter a research agreement, both parties need to have the required amount of gold and both need to have researched Philosophy.

share|improve this answer
It is enough if one side has researched philosophy. – Mad Scientist Oct 23 '10 at 14:19
Does it matter which side? – Apreche Oct 25 '10 at 12:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.