On Stack Exchange, we believe the core moderators should come from the community, and be elected by the community itself through popular vote. We hold regular elections to determine who these community moderators will be.
Community moderators are accorded the highest level of privilege on our community, and should themselves be exemplars of positive behavior and leaders within the community.
Our general criteria for moderators is as follows:
- patient and fair
- leads by example
- shows respect for their fellow community members in their actions and words
- open to some light but firm moderation to keep the community on track and resolve (hopefully) uncommon disputes and exceptions
Every election has three phases:
- Nomination. Up to thirty candidates nominate themselves for the position.
You need 300 reputation to nominate yourself.
- Primary. The top ten candidates are chosen, if necessary, through voting.
You need 150 reputation to vote candidates up or down.
- Election. A final round of voting is used to determine the winner through Meek STV.
You need 150 reputation to cast your preferences.
Please participate in the moderator elections by voting, and perhaps even by nominating yourself to be a community moderator!