I want to get some wood so I can make chests and crafting tables in my desert biome. The problem is that I can't explore to new biomes because I don't want to leave the village settlement that I would leave behind. The second problem to leaving is that I would have to cross an ocean to get to a new biome. So, how can I collect either wood or planks to have enough materials to have the necessary sticks and chests to survive?
Assuming you play this as a challenge - no other biomes, just surviving in the desert:
Seek caves (may take some trial and error; some may be buried under the sand) and try to find an abandoned mine. There's wood aplenty in there, in form of the supports.
Of course if you just started in the desert biome, without wood to make as much as a sword handle or a pair of torches that may be rather difficult and dangerous. Some smart creeper management can earn you cobblestone without the pick, but it seems despite containing quite a few wooden items (including chests and crafting tables), desert villages and temples don't contain anything that can be disassembled into sticks, although at least you could find some torches. Of course villages are rare, so you might be better off just making a run for it.
Desert hell was a challenge stream of gameplay in a desert world, with no mineshafts, villages and caverns. You may watch it for some very creative solutions:
- Wood is still obtainable from Strongholds - but locating one takes enormous effort.
- Witches are an important source of sticks. These are a very important resource.
- Cacti are good as a makeshift weapon, if you lure the mobs to walk onto them.
- Suffocating mobs is a good way of killing them; there are some ways demonstrated to do this.
- Temples and Dungeons were very important - especially allowing you to get a bucket. Bucket of lava is a mighty weapon.
- Using spider webs you can create wool, which then you can set on fire using lava, to start a nether portal (which you can cast from lava and water obtained from a desert well).
Officially, you can't. Just run in one direction till you find another biome with trees.
While it is true that there are no trees in desert biomes, I would recommend you find the nearest biome that actually has trees; although there are some workarounds.
Keep going until you find a tree and cut it down. Then take the saplings and a load of dirt and start a tree farm back in the desert.
You can harvest wood from an Abandoned Mineshaft, which you can find by simply strip-mining the area.
Well, actually, using the very rare find of a mineshaft, you CAN turn the wood to sticks. If you can find a piece of dirt, villages might have a oak sapling. Any other way is /give @p wood_planks 64.
if you are set on a desert biome, you can also just pick bonus chest, then use what little supplies that gets you to get started. of course this could be called cheating, but really if you want to try to survive in a desert biome, without a bonus chest it's nearly impossible.