The 1.2 patch of terraria introduced an alternate biome to the corruption called the crimson. What are the differences between the two?
Crimson appears to be a substitute to the Corruption. The first world I created after installing the 1.2 update contained a Crimson biome, which also happened to take over a neighboring desert. Various differences with Crimson include:
- Crimstone replaces stone
- Crimsand replaces sand
- Crimtane Ore replaces Demonite Ore
- Crimson Altars replace Demon Altars
- Demon Hearts replace Shadow Orbs
- A few unique item drops
- A few unique enemies (Blood Crawler, Face Monster)
- A unique boss (Brain of Cthulhu)
Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Crimson can essentially be considered an equivalent to Corruption (it appears to spread over time in the same fashion, for example).