I connected my PS3 to my TV through HDMI. I have a headphone and an external speaker, both with a TRS connector (3.5MM analog audio jack) that I would like to use with the PS3.

My TV, however, doesn't have an output port for the TRS connector/audio jack, so I am forced to use the TV's speakers. Is there a cable or adapter I can buy that could allow me to use my headphones or the external speakers with the PS3?

My TV's audio/video ports (scanned from the TV manual):

  • What does your TV propose as sound output ? Look at the rear panel, sides of TV or manual. Or give us the TV model.
    – LudoMC
    Jan 9, 2011 at 15:32
  • @LudoMC I added a scanned image from the TV's manual of its audio/video ports. Jan 9, 2011 at 18:34
  • 1
    Are you sure these are all of the ports on your TV, not just those on the back? A headphone jack is likely to be placed seperately from other ports, e.g. on the side or front of the TV - by not having it on the back of the TV, that makes it more accessible, which is usually desirable in this case - you rarely want to have headphones connected all the time, so it should be accessible, but you generally don't unplug the antenna signal very often, so that can go on the back. Jan 9, 2011 at 20:29
  • @Michael Madsen Yes. I've checked the front and sides of the TV. I even contacted the customer service of the TV manufacturer, which confirmed that there is no TRS connector output. Jan 9, 2011 at 21:40
  • 2x HDMI in and no cinch-audio out? That is really weird. What make and model is that TV?
    – DrFish
    Jan 11, 2011 at 14:09

2 Answers 2


I see two possible (although awkward) options:

1) connect the PS3 AV Multi Out -> Y-Adapter -> female2female TRS -> your headphones. See details here: http://www.portfolioofpb.com/blog/connect-ps3-xbox-to-ps-computer-speakers-with-surround-sound

2) connect the TV Coaxial audio out -> Coaxial2Analog Converter -> Y-Adapter -> ... (I found a converter here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44345 )

If you are looking for a better (and more expensive) arrangement, you can buy an AV receiver.

Have fun!


You need a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) to convert the coax output from the TV to an analog line output. You can then use a headphone amplifier to drive your headphones. Here is an expensive (but good) approach:



I have bought other products from Headroom (headphone.com), and have always been happy.

A quick search found a product with those features integrated:


This product is what you are asking for: A headphone amplifier with an integrated DAC and a coax input.

There are certainly other products that do that, the fubar link was just the first result on a search. You can search around to find one that matches your price/performance requirements.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .