I have a number of friends on my battle.net account. However, sometimes I don't want to appear online to some (or all) of them. Is there a way to be hidden from your friends on battle.net?
New Update: It's Here:
As of October 2017 the option to appear offline is implemented in the beta version of the Blizzard Battle.net app and will come to the standard version later. (There are also other new features like groups and chat channels coming to the app.) See this announcement from Blizzard for more details.
(See the previous revision of this answer for some now outdated information.)
Currently (as unfortunate as this is), there is no option to appear offline to friends which are added to the battlenet list. The only option is to remove them and add them on again later, but this does not really do the job as other networks like skype or the like do it.
The way to do this is to use Windows firewall to block outgoing TCP access to:
Step by Step
- Click Start
- Search for Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
- Select Outbound Rules
- Click New Rule...
- What type of rule would you like to create?: Custom, click Next
- Does this rule apply to all programs or a specific program?: All programs, click Next
- Protocol type: TCP
- Remote port: Specific Ports, enter 1119, click Next
- Which remote IP address does this rule apply to?: click These IP Addresses, click Add
- This IP address or subnet: 188.8.131.52, click OK
- Click Next
- What action should be taken when a connection matches the specified conditions?: Block the connection, click Next
- When does this rule apply?, all checked, click Next
- Name: Blizzard Battle.net Chat client
- Click Finish
The IP address of Battle.net chat client may be different for you. But that's what it was for me.