So a regular session will go like this:
- log in to the multiplayer world and examine my weak arsenal of 3 different pistols + 2 shotties + a baseball bat.
- start a gang war or survival mission and pick up some decent guns. Usually end up with Carbine Rifle + SMG + Micro SMG.
- enjoy playing GTAV online for a while.
- quit back to story mode to save, either by selecting Michael, Trevor or Francis - or by selecting the option in the Online menu.
- start another online session the next day - aaaand back to step 1. Where is my Carbine/SMG/etc??????
I initially supposed this was due to me not saving correctly, and then I thought maybe it was some undocumented "feature" where you can't keep weapons until you get to a certain level. I can't find any mention of such a thing in the Rockstar Social Club GTA online guide. I found this link which supposedly lists when weapons get unlocked, but I'm level 43 and I'm still stuck with a Combat Pistol as my best default weapon.
How do I keep my weapons?