Yesterday I played Terran against Zerg (that is actually 1-2 leagues better then me). I played pretty well half of the game. It was something like this:
- I scouted Zerg too late (Metalopolis map), my mistake;
- Zerg made quick expo, I did too;
- Few minutes Zerg was leading in drone amount (he had around 45-50 drones, I had - around 35 SCVs), but it was mostly compensated with my MULEs, also I did him hellion drop and killed around 15 drones;
- mutas killed my medivacs in the end of drop.
I made 2nd expansion, zerg did 2 more. I denied his 1 and killed drones on the 2nd exp (so he left on 3 bases with around 40 drones), he denied my 2nd exp (so I left on 2 bases with 40 SCVs too).
The next thing was his mutas+ultralisk+lings+bannelings attack on my natural. I had enough Vikings, marines, medivacs, some banshees, and had time to save all my SCVs. He lost whole army, but I saved 5-6 vikings, few banshees. So it was more or less good for me.
Still, I had few problems (as I saw from replay):
- I had some minerals/gas left and didn't mine for some time...
- I didn't have enough production facilities (4 barracks, 3 factories, 2 star-ports) to build enough army in time... Actually, that is not so small for 2 bases, right?
Next his push was mainly consisted from bannelings + zerlings... (more then 50 banelings). He destroyed both my CCs...
But if I had enough production facilities, I still could't know what should I build: helions? tanks? thors? banshee or vikings?
If I have map control I can see his army coming in 20-30 seconds, but I won't be able to build enough army to defend for this time...
My own summaries: I needed to scout him earlier and try to deny expansions earlier... probably in this way he would have less larvas/minerals... and I will be able to build enough and proper army in time...
Question 1: how can you know what kind of army expect from Zerg (if he has all 3: ban.nest, roach warren, spire)?
Possible answer: Just to push constantly and keep him under pressure without giving any chance to produce more or less big army?
Question 2: If I am correct, how can you push and still keep your base well defended (against quick mutas/zerlings)?
Possible answer: the best deffence is offence... but still, you need to be able to react on 5-7 mutas mineral line harassment...
Any other thoughts are welcome.