I came upon a very frustrating problem while trying to play Skyrim. Similar problems were discussed quite a lot (157 forum pages!), but I don't seem to find any solution to this.
When I open world map in Skyrim with M key my system crashes almost instantly. Video card stops working ("No signal" on monitor), after that sound freezes and loops. Only hard reset works to recover my system, so the OS must have crashed too (but I am not able to check BSOD due to video not working)
A crash with exactly the same symptoms happened when I was trying to play Red Faction: Armageddon. Had no problems until the scene where you have to protect a convoy in a battlesuit on some flying platform. My system crashed every time during that scene,and I wasn't able to proceed.
- Windows 7 x64
- Core i5 @3.4 GGhz
- 16 Gb DDR3
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti
- Skyrim with all 3 DLCs, Legendary Edition, Steam
I am pretty sure that my hardware is fine since I've played a lot of demanding games and had this kind of problem with only 2 of them in very specific circumstances. Even Skyrim runs fine for hours unless I open the map. I blame the interaction between application and video driver. Crash is not random, it happens after specific actions. Also, it isn't the application that crashes, but rather the whole system.
- I am using Unofficial Skyrim Patch mods from Nexus
- I am using SKSE and ENB
- I am using a lot of other mods
- Disabling all mods listed above does not solve this problem
- I have no "bloodSplatter" setting in my config
- My system is not overheating, both CPU and GPU.
- Video drivers are most recent, however I tried older(332 and 314) versions without success.
Can someone suggest anything on how to solve this? I've seen a lot of threads all over the internet, but I've seen no actual solutions.