I have been digging a mine and now have a slew of dirt and cobblestone blocks. How do I destroy them permanently and keep them from filling up my inventory?
You have a few options:
- Throw them into a pool of lava
- Throw them into a cactus block
- Throw them into fire
- Explode them (items will be destroyed if they are in the radius of a TNT or creeper explosion)
- Just throw them on the ground and forget about them and they'll despawn after 5 minutes. This is generally longer than desirable, however, which is where the other options come in handy.
You should always keep cobblestone...It's used for a ton of stuff in various forms. You can smelt it into rock, make it into stairs, roads, and, of course, huge fricking floating palaces with skulls that drip lava, etc.
Gravel is useful for mining flint, so keep it, then throw it in a hole and mine it again, and again, and again, until you've converted all of it to flint.
Dirt is pretty annoying, granted. I tend to keep it because I'll occasionally want to level a lot of terrain in preparation for building something. It's also nice to use in building elevated roads/bridges, because you don't have to use the more valuable cobblestone. I like to use dirt for "lighthouses" (really tall towers with torches on top so you can see where things are) and other disposable structures.
Chests are super cheap to make, so there is no reason not to throw the mined dirt/stone/cobblestone in chests whenever you go back to base to make more picks/shovels.
There are a few basic ways to ditch this stuff:
- Throw them into lava (my favorite)
- Set them on fire by other means
- Just drop them somewhere and leave them, they'll despawn after 5 minutes
- Throw them on some cacti! (Thanks @Raven Dreamer)
Did I miss any?
Most simple and less time consuming.....throw it off a cliff or into a sea nearby. The items will disappear when 5 minutes have passed.
Or alternatively, you can install the Equivalent Exchange mod and shove it all in an energy condenser. Much less wasteful: you get diamonds from it.
If you want to lose many items quite quickly you need a bunch of toolboxes and a bucket filled with lava:
- install toolbox on ground
- "use" toolbox from as far away as possible
- fill all 9 nine crafting slots with rubbish you want to get rid of
- dump the lava and see items disappear
- collect lava
- IF(too much rubbish items) THEN GOTO 1.
(But I prefer storing them...)
Shortcut to drop 4 items at a time:
- open your inventory screen
- put an item you want to drop in each of your 4 'craft slots'
- when you close your inventory screen, you'll drop all 4 items
If you want to do this with a command you could do
/gamerule doTileDrops false or
/gamerule doTileDrops true to enable and disable the drops.
It's real easy: Items get destroyed if they take damage.
You can use creepers, TNT, cacti, lava, fire, and maybe even more!
1st, Be sure you're in creative mode, or this won't work. Make sure Touchscreen Mode is set to the OFF position. Take your Dirt and Cobblestone. Get to another tab other than the Survival Inventory tab. Shift Right-Click your Dirt and Cobblestone. Go to the Survival Inventory. You should have nothing in there except the minerals you hopefully mined. This has worked for me, & I hope it works for you.