After some time playing Omega Ruby and attempting to complete my Dex, I've noticed some substantial variability in the time it takes to produce an egg. It got me thinking - what actually determines the breeding time?
I've done some casual looking, but can't find too much on the subject - just some vague notions about compatibility and certain types taking longer. I haven't been able to accurately reproduce a breeding cycle, but I think I've determined a few factors that may influence it:
- Day/night: breeding seems to take a LOT longer after the sun sets. When breeding for a specific nature, during the day I often fill my party with eggs before any of them hatch. When breeding the same pokemon into the night, though, I often hatch 2-3 before gaining another egg.
- Held items: any incense-breeding to produce a baby pokemon seems to reliably take longer than breeding the pokemon itself.
- Marathons: The breeding rate seems to change steadily the longer a certain pokemon is in the daycare. For some, the time seems to increase - for others (mostly starters), the eggs seem to come faster and faster. Not reliable.
- Level: Higher-level pokemon seem to have a slightly higher average breeding time. Not reliable.
- Evolution: Breeding an evolution vs a base (eg Blastoise vs a Squirtle) seems to increase the average breeding time in some cases. Not reliable.
- Type: Type doesn't seem to affect breeding time at all. I've had dragon-types spit out a second egg faster than I could walk away, and I've had a Caterpie take literally 20 minutes to produce.
- Rarity/Power: Very subjective/unreliable. The more powerful/difficult-to-obtain a pokemon is, the longer it seems to take to breed. I tried to benchmark this with a Kangaskhan, Metagross, Gloom, and Wurmple - the first two took considerably longer to produce than the second two. There are definite exceptions (see Caterpie above). This may also just be a function of level/evolution.
This is not a rigorous exploration by any means - I haven't timed cycles or anything. There's also the chance that it's 100% random and I'm basing conjecture on happenstance.
Can anyone tell me what factors actually influence breeding time?