So I have just bought minecraft from minecraft.net. I downloaded the installer "minecraftinstaller.msi" and installed it. Then I tried to open the minecraft launcher, but when i did that a window opened with the text "unknown error". I have no idea why this happens. I have tried to remove java and install it again but it did not work. I have a Windows Vista with 3GB RAM. Is that not enough to run minecraft? Have I wasted my money?
The Minecraft installer is a new feature. It was introduced to remove the hassle of manually setting up Minecraft, but it may have some quirks that make it stop working on certain machines.
Nevertheless, there is an alternative way to install Minecraft:
- Head over to the Minecraft download site and download the file Minecraft.exe
- Open the file browser and navigate to your personal directory
- Create a new directory called Minecraft and place the downloaded file Minecraft.exe in there
- Rightclick the Minecraft.exe and select create shortcut. That creates a shortcut that you can drag onto your desktop.
- Double click the shortcut to start Minecraft
I hope that works for you! If not, please leave a comment with further details.
protected by Community♦ Dec 27 '14 at 16:42
Thank you for your interest in this question.
Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).
Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?