Rabbits do not die in traps or player inventory.
Reign of Giants
Rabbits take two days to die in a trap or in your inventory. You can feed most animals food to prolong their lives. Most animals, once dead, will become a meat which will decay into rot if it is not eaten.
You're looking at a great way of stretching out your meat's life-span!
- Store Rabbits and kill them as they decay
- Cook any Meat you don't want to consume or dry immediately
- Cooked Meats last longer than raw Meats
- Keep all food Dry
- Soggy food increases rotting speed by 30%.
- Place any Meat on Drying Rack to extend even further
- Feed a bird any decayed Meats to get a fresh Egg
- When using Fruits and Vegetables, be sure to freshen them up by cooking them, if needed.
- This halves the spoiled amount
Sometimes, an animal such as a mole, which cannot be trapped by a Trap, will trigger the trap and you will come back to an empty, not-working Trap. I mention this because it would look the same as if you let a Rabbit completely rot.