I have to reinstall my computer and Steam due to malware. When I reinstall Steam, will I be able to re-download the games that I bought? I still have the "Thank you for your purchase" emails, so will those be of any use?
Assuming Windows 7, your best bet is going to be to do this:
- Make sure Steam is exited; completely closed and the icon is not next to your clock
- Copy+Paste the entire Steam folder from your Program Files to an external HDD; assuming the malware is not hiding in here then you are safe
- Reinstall your computer from scratch
- Copy the Steam folder back onto your main computer into the Program Files folder. This might be (x86) if you are using 64-bit Windows
- Download and install the Steam client, it will pick up on all of your games.
This should save you hours of re-download time.
My Steam library is 600GB so this is definitely not something I would like to re-download if I can avoid it.
Don't forget to also backup all of your saved games from My Documents!!