Can you zoom out while watching a replay?
...but you can unlock the camera while viewing replays.
However, linked article is from 2012, and involves a lot of console commands, whereas you often see casters zoom out on a whim. I think I started seeing that in 2013 or later, so it feels like a proper feature had been introduced to do so. A Steam Forum thread suggests the same (emphasis mine):
i was watching Ti4 playoffs and dota 2 casters zoomed out game from very high point of view how can i do that ingame ? i want to zoomout far
Sure you can, you just need to spectate (or watch replays) in free camera mode and use the mousewheel to zoom in and out. I often do that when a teamfight is about to break out, I switch to free camera mode and zoom out a little...
However, I've tried this while watching one of my own replays, and it doesn't seem to work. What am I missing here?
Things I've tried:
- Changing the camera mode to all different options;
- Going through all of the Spectator key bindings;
- Meticulously go through all replay UI components to find an option for this;
- Double checking my scroll wheel is still working :D
- Searching with Google (last year's results) as well as Arqade;
What are the current instructions for zooming out while watching a replay?