It's probably obvious from the title, but I'm specifically thinking of messages like

ProGamer64 [image of shotgun] L33tCamper

that appear in the bottom right corner when a kill happens, then fade away after a few seconds.

Is there a standard term for these messages or the list of them?

  • 1
    Obviously they should be called: Death notes d:
    – aslum
    Commented Mar 30, 2015 at 13:19
  • 1
    @aslum It's more like a reverse Death Note actually - after a person dies, it details when, where and how that person died.
    – Zibbobz
    Commented Mar 30, 2015 at 19:39
  • 1
    I remember this was called "killspam" and CoD called it killfeed many years later which was easier to find in search engine results, so it took over.
    – MrDosu
    Commented Mar 31, 2015 at 15:14

6 Answers 6


This is known as the killfeed.

This term has been widely used throughout many different multiplayer games, including old ones such as Quake, Counter-Strike, Starsiege's Tribes, etc. For the etymology of the word the origin is unknown but it has likely started off with Quake/Quake II.

Some examples of killfeed from the games you have mentioned:

enter image description here

From Giant Bomb:

A standard in nearly all competitive online shooters, the Kill Feed is the live on-screen update of the kills in an multiplayer game, providing updates as to whom is killing whom, as well as other important events.

  • 8
    Fairly certain Call of Duty was neither the first to introduce the system nor the first to name it as such.
    – Etheryte
    Commented Mar 29, 2015 at 21:43
  • @Nit Thanks for the clarification. Edited to further reflect that.
    – childe
    Commented Mar 30, 2015 at 6:16
  • 3
    Oh snap! Sorry I didn't respond to you the other day :P
    – BoltClock
    Commented Apr 3, 2015 at 3:31
  • I thought it was "kill log"
    – Nick T
    Commented Apr 17, 2015 at 18:28

I've never heard of "killfeed", but then I haven't been into games in a while. In Quake (the first one) they were called obituaries.

See here for the list of Quake's obituary messages, including such classics as "X rides Y's rocket", "X accepts Y's shaft", and "X chewed on Y's boomstick".

  • 1
    An Obituary would be an individual entry in the Kill Feed.
    – Beejamin
    Commented Mar 31, 2015 at 1:18
  • Good point. In Quake they were listed in a general notification area, interspersed with other messages such as "You picked up ammo", "So-and-so connected/disconnected", and player chat. My guess is that it was in Half-Life that the obituaries first got their own dedicated corner of the screen. I'm more certain that Half-Life was the originator of using the rather unpoetic weapon icon. The following year, Quake3 and Unreal Tournament were still using descriptive obituaries, but most modern FPSes seem to be derived from the HL/Counter-Strike school.
    – narb
    Commented Mar 31, 2015 at 17:53

In some games, these messages are known as "Obituaries".

  • 1
    Just curious, which game has it as the "Obituary"? Sounds like a really funny game to me :)
    – childe
    Commented Mar 30, 2015 at 5:32
  • @0-framelinks It's just what I've always heard them called. I want to say Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Starsiege: Tribes but the most solid evidence I could find was some patch notes for Enemy Territory: Legacy which reference changes to obituary message. Unfortunately, it's rather difficult to find what I'm looking for by searching for "obituaries".
    – Eric Finn
    Commented Mar 30, 2015 at 19:22
  • Looks like the ETPro mod for WolfET (or at least parts of the ET community at the time) also called them obituaries: etpro.anime.net/playerguide.html
    – Eric Finn
    Commented Mar 30, 2015 at 19:31
  • 2
    Per narb's answer, the original Quake source code referred to them internally as obituaries. I don't believe that name was ever made user-facing, but the late-90s Quake modding community would have understood the term. Commented Mar 30, 2015 at 19:32
  • 1
    @0-framelinks CoD4 has a ui_hud_obituaries configuration variable for toggling the visibility of the obituaries.
    – Spooky
    Commented Mar 31, 2015 at 13:31

The area where kill notifications are posted is called the "Killboard" in many games including TF2 and Eve Online.

  • 1
    Is the name 'Killboard' seen somewhere in these games? Or material (help files/wikis/commenteries) related to them?
    – DJ Pirtu
    Commented Mar 31, 2015 at 9:11

Killfeed is the correct answer however it is a term much that is much older than Cod and probably dates back to quake, I know I knew of it long before COD exsisted. The results you are seeing are biased due to popularity of search terms and lack of inter-generational gaming history. The first COD game was in 2006 and the term kill feed was widely used before then. Google dates the term 'kill feed' back as far as feb 2004 but has no prior data to that. The term 'killfeed' dates back to 2010 where we also see a spike in usage of 'kill feed'. This corresponds with the release of COD: Black Ops.

Another example of this bias from an article saying Starsiege:Tribes has a notable kill feed with custom messages e.g. 'Player A blasts Player B with the Spinfusor'. However the quake series did this first including custom environmental deaths 'PlayerName Melted' when you fall in lava for example.

Its possible its as old as Doom!


I usually call that a "killfeed" as well, but have also heard it referred to as the "log". This makes sense, as it documents what's been happening in the game.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .