This is a two part question. The reason I am asking them in the same question is because they are both part of a broader question: What is my DNA point income so I can effectively ration which upgrades I am going to buy?
- How many DNA points do I get naturally, in the two waves of infecting people?
All difficulty levels. This is almost, but not quite, a duplicate of Why doesn't population death yield DNA points?; this question is about the actual number of DNA points I get naturally. It's certainly not a function of time, because of the long pause you can get between the "infection phase" and the "killing phase".
- What is the mathematical effect of the different game start DNA upgrades?
- ATP Boost
- Get bonus DNA at the beginning
- Seems to be 9-10 or so
- Cytochrome Surge
- Get more DNA from popping orange, DNA bubbles
- I've gotten what seems to be +7 DNA from a single orange bubble, where the highest is +3 without this upgrade. The +7 was on normal though, I don't recall getting this on Brutal.
- Side note: what governs when orange bubbles appear?
- Metabolic Jump - Get more DNA from popping red, biohazard bubbles
- I'm not even sure what this upgrade does. I know sometimes I get 2 points from a bubble, other times 1, and without this upgrade I only seem to get 1. I've only played with this upgrade on Brutal.
- Catalytic Switch - Get bonus DNA from popping blue, cure bubbles
- This can be a lot of DNA points, but obviously only in late game.
- Metabolic Hijack - Orange and red bubbles are automatically popped
- Obviously worth zero.