I've been playing ARK on a locally hosted server with my wife.
We're pretty goal oriented and have spreadsheets with what we need to accomplish and how / when.
However, we've now:
- Constructed a three story house
- Created an animal pen large enough to house our herd
- Tamed 20 dodos, 2 triceratops, 2 dilos, 2 phiomas
- Constructed an archery tower surrounded by several spike walls with ammo to kill just about everything on the map
- Have 10 storage boxes filled with a thousand of each resource near enough
- Have a garden with 8 small plots
I'm now lvl 23, and she's lvl 18. And we're not sure what to do next.
As there are no real set goals as far as we can tell, and the aspects required to summon the broodmother require increasing levels up to 55 it looks like we'll be stuck grinding levels for a while.
It feels like we hit a curve in the game where we're too well off to really need to do anything, we're lacking goals.
What are we missing, is there some mid-game content we're not seeing?
What do people tend to do in ARK once they've built a small colony?
Is it just improbable to play ARK on a local server, is the idea of humans killing humans so ingrained in the game balance that we're missing out?